Friday, December 9, 2016

Jesus Visited the Lonely and So Can You

#LIGHTtheWORLD

I've always loved meeting new people. Throughout my life, I've come to find a joy playing games with and hearing stories from the elderly. I've loved visiting them since jr high and high school. I also loved interning at a senior center my senior year of high school and visiting, serving and playing games with senior patients with dementia.

When I looked at the theme for today's way to serve on mormon.org, "Jesus Visited the Lonely and So Can You" I was overjoyed.  One of the service ideas said to, "Visit a nursing home. Studies show that 60 percent of those living in a nursing home never get visitors during their stay," and I couldn't pass up the simple suggestion because I truly love getting to know the elderly.

A few weeks ago I visited a senior living center new where I'm going to school. There's a group from my apartment complex and ward that go sing hymns to them each Sunday. This day I decided to attend, and I was able to meet a dear sweet lady who had just lost her husband the week before.

Fast forward back to today, I remembered my friend Flo from the senior center. Although I hadn't seen her for two weeks, and I didn't even know if she'd remember me, I decided to go visit her. Although nervous and kinda thinking of myself as foolish, I tried to visit her unannounced and around dinner time at that. Luckily, I was able to chat with my new friend Flo. We talked about families, teachers, storytelling, and much more.

At first she showed confusion of why I choose her to talk to and why I asked the questions I did. After all I wanted to hear more about being a music teacher in an elementary school. I ultimately came to get to know her and spend time with her. I found joy in talking and spending time with those I love, yet even if I've only known them for a very short time. "When ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God." -Mosiah 2:17

I challenge you to go out and serve people this holiday season! Share your heart, love, and happy spirit with those around you!

Love Inspire Smile Serve
mormon.org #LIGHTtheWORLD
Melissa Longhurst
Image result for lds love the elderly quotesImage result for lds serve elderly quotesRelated image

No comments:

Post a Comment